Always Unique Totally Interesting Sometimes Mysterious
What is Autism?
A serious developmental disorder that impairs the ability to communicate and interact.
- About 1 in 68 children has been identified with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) according to estimates from CDC’s Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring (ADDM) Network.
ASD is about 4.5 times more common among boys (1 in 42) than among girls (1 in 189).
- Children born to older parents are at higher risk for having ASD.
- A small percentage of children who are born prematurely or with low birth weight are at greater risk for having ASD.
- The Cause of this disorder is a mystery!
- A child can be diagnosed at the age of 2, but in most children are not diagnosed with ASD until after age 4.
- There is NO CURE! Some forms of intervention like Applied Behavior Analysis.
Autism is near and dear to my heart. It affects my life/heart every day of my life. Awareness is the number one cure for this disorder. With that being said I want you to educate yourself and be the voice for Autism! What do you think the cause of Autism is? Poll here-